Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Danske

The daily program in the Folkehøjskole.

If you are reading this you must be either really bored, or have way too much time on your hands, But if you're reading this because you want to learn more about Denmark you have come to the right place. The organization here is supposed to be like in the army. At 7.45-8.15 there's breakfast. then a meeting from 8.30-9.00. Till ten o'clock we'll have some lessons after which there's a coffee break. The lessons continue till 12 and for half an hour we have lunch after what we have to do our chores aka cleaning. More lessons till 3- another coffee break. 6-6.30 we have dinner. Of course everyone adapt to their needs, so my program looks a little different.
I sleep trough the breakfast just to catch some  food 5 minutes before the kitchen closes. Appear halfway to the meeting where we sing some songs. Be minimum 10 minutes late for the class. Do the chores before lunch, so have 5 minutes for eating and even be on time for the second class. I just feel the need to control my own life and doing it with my own groove just feels great. It's a small attempt to bring chaos into this organized world. And when I say organized I mean Denmark is seriously on the point country.
Nobody throws anything on the streets and random people even clean up the streets, all the houses in the nearest village are renovated and really tidy with added decorations like old tuned BMWs. There's huge infrastructure here and even the smallest roads are pavemented. Everything is nice and tidy and rather expensive. For example owning a car is worst than smoking around here (even though cigarettes cost 50 kronas, which is a lot even in their standards, 90% of people staying in this school smoke). Per half a year people have to pay on the car weight, registration and even the fuel consumption. SO if you want a car, Denmark is not the right place for it.
The average pay a Danish person receives is about 105 kronas per hour, which is about 5 times more than average in Estonia. Although about 1/3 of the money goes for taxes and 25% of all goods you buy. The taxing system is progressive as people who get around 600 000 kronas per year have to pay 62% for taxes as a person with 400 000 kronas has to pay p.e 42% for taxes. At least that's what I learned in the last class.
Ooh and also some good news, as I didn't have any money it has been rather difficult for me during the past few days, but I met this nice artist who hired me to clean her house once a week and giving me 100 kronas per time, so I can live here almost normally and finally I can buy a beer!!! Oh the small joys.
Plus I'm also learing Danish now, there's always something to add to your language skills...although thanks to my ex roommate I learned two of the most importand words in Danish befor I even came here: billeder (a picture) and indbakke (inbox). They are very important.
Anyways take care and look at your toes, they might need trimming and painting over.

No comments:

Post a Comment